The aim of this subject is to provide knowledge and understanding of the impacts of tourism on the environments and vice versa and the development of the tourism industry with an emphasis on industry structures, participants and the role of the tourist.
- Outline the factors influencing destination trends and issues facing the tourism industry
- Deconstruct the inter-relationships of the tourism industry and the various environments in the tourism system
- Evaluate the impact of tourism development on a destination and how planning can influence the scope of development
- Compare various models of tourist motivation and describe the development of special interest tourism
- Analyse the basic concepts of crisis management and recommend appropriate strategies to assist a tourism organisation/destination in this situation
- Discriminate between small scale and alternative tourism as opposed to mass tourism and discuss why it is important to protect destination resources