The subject will allow you to gain a greater understanding of the global sport marketplace and insight into areas of sport management you may wish to pursue in your career.
1) Ability to outline the various processes and identify the main business factors which take place as sport moves from pure sport to a business and effective management
2) Understand the facets of sport that make it different from conventional businesses including professional and volunteer sport
3) Differentiate the concepts of governance and explain the relevance of these concepts to management in the sports industries
4) Understand how government funding, sponsorship and attitudes determine the profile and perceived value of specific sports
5) Demonstrate and explain the elements of sports marketing and importance of social and digital media in the sports context
6) Identify the major future challenges and drivers of change in the industry
Exams will take place in weeks 12 & 13. Please refer to the official Exam Timetable for further information. Students are required to prepare for assessments by reading the subject matter in course notes, handouts and readings. Class work and practical application of theory assists in reinforcing the importance of this subject’s topics. Each student is required to participate in class discussions and activities. Two individual assessment tasks are required together with an examination. Assessment briefs and rubrics will be found on Moodle.