The aim of this subject is to develop an advanced understanding of the philosophy, scope and principles of sustainable tourism development. It will provide insight into the socio-cultural, environmental and economic impacts of tourism at the individual, community and societal level. You will examine a series of strategies applied to the planning and management of tourism destinations and related operations. Further, you will examine important questions concerning previous, present and future tourism development, focussing on its strengths and weaknesses within a sustainability framework.
- Apply an advanced knowledge of the theoretical and practical interrelated dimensions of sustainable tourism development.
- Analyse the challenges of sustainability from the perspective of local, national and international stakeholders.
- Critically evaluate the contemporary issues that affect the dynamic and long-term nature of sustainable tourism development.
- Critically evaluate planning, development and managemet strategies, policies and practices in achieving sustainable tourism.
- Synthesise and communicate complex sustainable tourism development issues.