The aim of this subject is to provide an introduction to the financial sector of the economy and to the mathematics of finance. Students will be introduced to a wide range of financial instruments and the methods of valuing them.
- Identify the functions served by financial markets and define the main classes of such markets.
- Describe the role and importance of commercial banks and that of non-bank financial institutions in the global financial system
- Apply the concepts of mathematics and finance to valuing a range of financial instruments requiring discount security, compound interest and annuity application in the domestic and international market
- Evaluate and reflect on the relevance of the finance theories covered, to that of real world financial events
- Describe the different funding options available to businesses and governments and how the appropriate financial instruments could be selected