Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Advice for International Students

Advice for International Students

Are you an international student wanting to study – or already studying in Australia – at the International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS), Aspire Institute, Aspire English or the International Sport College Australia (ISCA).

This page will answer all your questions on topics such as government support and advice, student visas, Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS), international student transfers or your study load.

Want to get in contact with an Agent in your country?

Click the link below for more information.

Free events and activities for international students

2. Looking for free upskilling programs to enhance your employability? 

Enrol in the free Study Australia Industry Experience Program to gain the opportunity to engage in real world projects with the end goal to improve post-study employment prospects.

International Student Information

International Student Visa Conditions

As a student at the Institution you need to be aware of your student visa conditions to ensure you have a positive study experience. It is also important to be aware that the Institution has legal requirements to notify the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) of information in certain circumstances, for example, if you are no longer studying at the Institution.

To maintain a valid student visa you must hold a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) that you are issued by the Institution during the acceptance process.


Ensure you are familiar with your student visa conditions by visiting the DHA website for a comprehensive description of conditions applicable to all student visas. Check your visa details and your conditions that apply to you and your family members online at VEVO. Below are details of only some of the visa conditions that apply to student visas.

Work Limitations

Once your course has commenced, you are permitted to work in paid employment up to 48 hours per fortnight in term time. A fortnight means the period of 14 days starting on a Monday.

For more information see the  Australian Government’s website.

Meet Course Requirements

To maintain your student visa you must remain enrolled in your course and meet the Institution’s course progression requirements. For ELICOS and Pathway students, you must also maintain satisfactory attendance.

If you are not meeting course progression requirements the Institution will be in contact with you to commence an intervention strategy to assist you to get back on track in your studies and meet standard requirements.

If after an intervention you are still unable to meet course progression requirements, as per the Academic Progression Policy and the ELICOS Course Progression Policy, you may be excluded from the Institution. You will have the right to submit a complaint about this decision as per the Complaints and Appeals Policy and Complaints and Appeals Procedures. If you appeal the decision and your appeal is unsuccessful or you do not appeal the decision, you will be reported to DHA for failure to maintain course progress (or attendance), and this may result in your visa being cancelled.

Overseas Student Health Cover

Student visa holders and their dependents are required to hold Overseas Student Heath Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their visa. OSHC provides medical and hospital insurance during your stay in Australia.

You can elect for the Institution to organise your OSHC during your acceptance process, with Allianz Global Assistance, or you can purchase your own OSHC using an Australian Government approved provider.

Students from certain countries including Norway, Sweden and Belgium may have special arrangements under their own national schemes and are requested to contact DHA for further information.

Under 18 Years of Age

For a student visa holder under 18 years of age, you must maintain the accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements for the duration of your stay in Australia. If you wish to change these arrangements, you must have written approval from the Institution and DHA. Refer to the Under 18 Student Policy.

Visit ICMS Under 18s for more information.

Change of Contact Details

You must notify the Institution using this from within seven days of the following:

  • your new address and contact details after arrival in Australia
  • any changes to your address and contact details during your enrolment at the institution

Updating your address and contact details are important as DHA may need to contact you if there are any visa problems and if your details are not accurate you may risk having your visa cancelled without your knowledge.

Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS)

International Student Transfers

Applying to Reduce Study Load

International Student Support

What is a USI (unique Student Identifier)?

What happens if I do not provide a USI to ICMS?

Who is exempt from applying for a USI?