From business and social events to mega events, concerts and festivals, a professional event manager ensures the success of any event.
The ICMS Master of Event Management is designed for working professionals seeking formal qualifications, as well as students seeking exposure to best practice within the event sector. It is a postgraduate degree that aims to develop strategic thinking and conceptual, analytics and current, practical skills.
Successful events can result in sustainable social, economic and infrastructure outcomes and are emerging as a key strategy for communities coping with globalisation and the new economy. Underpinning a strong emphasis on the international event sector, the Master of Event Management is designed to develop strategic management skills and knowledge that may be applied to the delivery of events in a range of local, national and global settings.
|CRICOS Course Code:||097379G||097379G|
|UAC Course Code:||900150||900101|
|Campus:||City Campus, Sydney||Northern Beaches Campus, Manly|
|Duration:||2 years (or part time equivalent)||2 years (or part time equivalent)|
|Industry Training:||600 hours||600 hours|
|Study Mode:||on campus||on campus|
|Start:||Feb, Jul, Sept||Feb, Jul, Sept|
|Annual Indicative Student Enrolments:||0 in 2018 (new course started in 2019)||0 in 2018 (new course started 2019)|
The Master of Event Management is structured to provide you with the perfect balance of theoretical coursework and practical experience.
The Master of Event Management consists of the following:
- 3 semesters (12 subjects) of in-depth coursework studies plus a Work Integrated Industry Research Project, where you will work with an organisation in your industry for 600 hours and apply your knowledge to real business issues.
- Delivery through a combination of small lectures, tutorials, workshops and industry research to cater for a range of learning styles.
- The two-year course duration means international students are eligible for a two-year post-study work visa.
Work integrated learning
The Master of Event Management includes a 600-hour work integrated learning subject. This subject will see you fully immersed in the day-to-day activities of a business with responsibility and accountability for professional outcomes.
You will apply knowledge of research principles and methods applicable to events, and collect and analyse data to examine and develop solutions for a ‘research problem’ such as a market opportunity or a source of inefficiency.
Course learning outcomes
Upon completion of this course, graduates will be able to:
- Critically interpret and evaluate the impacts, trends and issues associated with event management.
- Engage in independent research.
- Engage and communicate clearly with a diverse range of stakeholders associated with event management.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of key theoretical concepts underpinning the event industry.
- Take responsibility as a thought leader for initiating novel and creative solutions to challenges faced by organisations.
- Apply sound project management skills and knowledge to ensure effective execution of an event.
- Design an event from concept to evaluation utilising a range of creative and critical analysis skills.
- Apply and evaluate sustainable best practice to any planned event.
- Apply sound risk management and mitigation processes to any planned event.
- Exercise strong ethical judgement, social responsibility and cultural awareness in business and management.
- Develop and demonstrate technical and practical knowledge and skills generate through reflective practice, observations or experience in a work context.
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of specialised management techniques underpinning the event industry.
- Associations Manager
- Business Development Manager
- Conference/Meeting Organiser
- Convention Business Development Professional
- Destination Marketing Consultant
- Event Bidding and Procurement Professional
- Event Manager/Director/Producer
- Exhibition Coordinator/Manager
- Project Manager
- Venue Manager
- Venue Sales Professional
“The skills and knowledge learned in the ICMS Master of Event Management course are based on leading-edge thinking and international experience. Our lecturers have experience working around the world delivering events in over 40 countries, from the USA to UAE.”
- William O’Toole, Secretary of the International Festival & Events Association
Course and Subject Details
- Media Management 600
- Tourism and Hospitality Marketing 600
- Business Events and Association Management (PG)
- Impacts and strategic planning of international events (PG)
- Foundations of Management Thought (PG)
- Elective Level 800
- Risk Management and law for event managers (PG)
- Sustainable best practice for events (PG)
- Responsible Leadership (PG)
- Elective Level 800
- Innovation in Event Concept and Design (PG)
- Event Operations and Quality Management (PG)
- Work Integrated Learning Postgraduate
The course information on this website is indicative of a typical study pattern only and is subject to change. Enrolled students will be made aware of changes to their course structure or subjects.